Monday, October 19, 2009

Letting go of Normal

I had had a frustrating day. I was venting, complaining to my son about my husband's inability to understand simple instructions, being confused about the same thing over and over again. He should be able to pour himself a cup of coffee, he should know the difference between a roll of paper towels and toilet paper. He should.......and my son interrupted me. "Mom, you are expecting him to be normal, he isn't, he has Alzheimers. You need to let go of your expectations" The cold splash of his words hit me. After all this time of living with my husband and his slow descent into the middle stages of his dementia, I finally reached the turning point of coming to terms with the reality of this disease. Normal doesn't exist in our home anymore. I have let go. Normal is coming downstairs to have a morning cup of coffee and conversation with my husband. Now it is explaining everyday that we are married and I am the Adele that he refers to in the abstract. Normal is having a partner in marriage. Now it is having a full grown man becoming delusional, confused and more and more dependent on me for the most basic needs. Normal was being able to go to the grocery store alone or an art class. Now I cannot leave him for even several minutes for fear what he might do in his panic. I have let go of normal. Acceptance is part of dealing with this disease. As I look across the table at the man I love who is now the shell of the man I knew I realize each day will take him farther and farther away from me. Now I don't try to explain or rationalize, I fib. "When will we go home?" he asks. "We're spending the night here", I respond. "We will go home tomorrow." "Did you leave a note for Adele?" "Yes, I did." It has made life a little easier. We live in a strange world now, a world of twists and turns and sudden unexplained behaviors. There is no rhyme or reason to his strange questions and responses. And I know that nothing can stop this downward spiral. Nothing will bring him back to me. So I must learn to live with and accept this new relationship. This alien in the body of my husband. Yes, normal doesn't exist in our home anymore.

1 comment:

Richmond Kelly said...

My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's diseases this neuron disease started 25 years before being revealed it was triggered the moment we started eating sugars including any and almost all carbs that break down to glycerol, and he was placed on the best  medical treatment approved by the United States, (FDA) he has been taking Cholinesterase, Meantime to treat his memory loss, confusion and the problems with his thinking and reasoning. Just to help slow the progression and manage the symptoms, as no cure exists I read through with interest. I once believed Alzheimer disease has no cure. Well it is true with English medicine, but not with herbal medicine. My Dad's experience opened my eyes to the reality of a cure through herbs. My Father was a vibrant man before his encounter with Alzheimer. He was a scientist, hence his mental capability was never in doubt. In 2013, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer. The symptoms manifested through repeating conversation and gradually forgetting things. It became progressive from finding the right words during conversation, to significant confusion and forgetting details about himself. It was not a good experience, seeing your father whose brilliance had no match, totally became a shadow of himself. His doctors said the disease has no cure, just medications for treatment which had a lot of side effects were administered to him. Early 2016, while on the internet, I bumped into a story of Alzheimer, and I read about a cure through herbs with interest. I researched more to be sure it was not a hoax.  In my quest, Doctor James herbal mix medicine was mentioned in the testimony. I contacted the Great Healer  on his email that was provided  (GREATCUREMAN'@MAIL.COM)   and I got his herbal mix medicine for my father. He told me that his herbal mix medicine will help my Dad to reduce the abnormal protein fold inside his neurons, and regulate the nutrients and molecules in his body system, and as well stop the progressive disorder that build up in damaging his brain cells, and help his weak cells  that causes  brain shrinking to function well, it's a good herbal drinks for cell repairing. This doctor James is a super great man and his herbal mix medicine is wonderful and works effectively as he said, with no side effects. It's been 4 years and my Dad is perfectly okay and back to his laboratory work even at old age. For your loved ones with Alzheimer or Dementia, take them off English medicine and use Dr. James herbal mix medicine for treatment. If you are suffering from Dementia, Alzheimer's disease or facing different kinds of health challenges  do not hestitate to contact the great healer on his Email at.(GREATCUREMAN@GMAIL.COM].   and get your permanent cure. He's a good man, and he will help you.