Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The journey begins

It's been a year since my husband, George, has been diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer's Disease. It has been a good year. Yes...it has. Sounds crazy but let me explain. Having retired about two years ago, I had envisioned the fairy tale retirement, travel, playing golf together, doing all the things you see in the brochures that espouse "the golden years". Life happens and I have learned that you cannot plan your life, but you can be prepared.



We have learned a lot about this terrible disease and we have learned a lot about ourselves in the process. We have learned patience, determination, and above all, living in the moment. With Alzheimer's, the moments are unpredictable, sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes frustrating, sometimes funny and sometimes wonderful connections of love. He is getting the best of medical care from a team of doctors who work in tandem with us. As a result, he is for the moment doing exceptionally well. I am not naive to think he will be cured. But I am hopeful about the many ongoing clinical trials and new medications that are on the horizon. I do and continue to do extensive research on Alzheimer's and I will share what I know. But most of all, I will share our journey with you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the new blog. I think this is going to be a wonderful way for you to share and sort. I'm just delighted.